Friday, July 6, 2007

Information and knowledge

I recently came across this quote,


Information is knowledge, learning is wisdom.

I'm not really comfortable with this, both axioms appear to be a fallacy. So I attempted to come up with something better.

Information creates learning,
Learning builds knowledge,
Knowledge contributes to wisdom.

To me information doesn't exist without some type of filter for organizing it. Otherwise its not useful, so by definition might as well be noise. Therefore the filter could represent some type of parallel evolution between a capacity to learn and the value of the information.

As filter(s) become more complex, we might suggest that they describe a representation of the information, knowledge emerging through the learning process. So knowledge is the result of a kind of interactive process in an environment

And finally, knowledge can contribute to, but does not always guarantee the deep insight that is wisdom.

I will think on this some more... I'm sure others have argued similar points so I should do some research. Any of you with suggestions please leave comments here.

No comments: